This is my favorite brownie recipe, and it is from my mom. It uses one bowl (plus possibly a cup for melting the butter) and can be made with a single rubber spatula. They’re ready within 45 minutes of deciding to make them! Don’t think about how much butter it calls for, just make them.
- 12 tbsp melted butter (i.e. 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (add a 3rd egg if you like them cakey-er)
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Mix the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Add the eggs, beat well, then everything else but the flour, and mix well. If you have little clumps of cocoa like I usually do, don't worry about it. They'll still be delicious. If you're super obsessive about it you can sift the cocoa and the flour next time.
- Stir in the flour until combined.
- Pour the batter into a buttered or greased 8"x8" baking pan. (If you halve the recipe, it works well in a standard loaf pan!)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. Err on the side of underbaked rather than overbaked!